Happy New Year, Omega Phi Alpha!
My family and I have been doing our fair share of binge-watching television series these days. We just finished the first season of “Ted Lasso” on AppleTV+ and have had several animated follow-on conversations about predictions for next season.
Ted may be a bit of a goofball, but his sincere desire to mold his team into the best version of themselves marks him as a true leader. At a time of year when leadership is at the forefront, I spent a few moments reflecting on how Ted embraces the five practices identified by Kouzes and Posner in “The Leadership Challenge.”
- Model the Way – Ted treats others with respect and maintains an open-door policy so that he is accessible to people at all levels of the organization.
- Inspire a Shared Vision – Ted helps the team imagine what could be and then keeps that vision at the forefront throughout the ups and downs of the season.
- Challenge the Process – Ted has never coached soccer before, so he draws upon his football experience and helps his team think and act in ways they’ve never considered.
- Enable Others to Act – Ted recognizes the inherent talent in individuals and provides them with the confidence and courage they need to take action.
- Encourage the Heart – From spontaneous birthday celebrations to discreet notes of support in times of need, Ted is keenly aware of the emotional needs of others and does his best to make them feel valued.
As sisters of Omega Phi Alpha, we’re called to be leaders in our communities through service and giving to others. How are you a living example of leadership in your personal, academic, and sorority roles? Here are some thoughts to consider.
- Model the Way – What values do you hold dear? Are your actions aligned with them?
- Inspire a Shared Vision – How do you support the common purpose of your OPA chapter and other organizations with which you are involved?
- Challenge the Process – How might you look at something with a fresh perspective and be open to new possibilities?
- Enable Others to Act – How can you cultivate stronger relationships built on trust?
- Encourage the Heart – How can you recognize the contributions of others and celebrate group victories?
Traditionally, January is a time of new beginnings. As a new year unfolds and a new semester at school gets underway, we each have an opportunity to set intentions for the months ahead. How will you commit to strengthening your leadership capacity in 2021?
Forever in Service,