Since Convention 2017, Omega Phi Alpha’s national structure has changed. The transition includes a new leadership organizational structure, member training opportunities, and the frequency of the national convention. The national executive board is the top level of leadership and consists of five elected lifetime members. These individuals are responsible for strategic planning and ensuring goals are being met. NEB elections take place at the biennial national convention. (For elected director positions, please visit the Positions page. For a description of the national structure, view the slideshow.)
At Convention 2017, the national executive board positions listed below were elected by the delegation, each for two-year terms. Eligible NEB candidates must be a lifetime member in good standing for at least one year. The weekly time commitment ranges from 5 to 8 hours.
Condensing the NEB to five positions increases efficiency by focusing only on strategic goals. Leadership roles and structure reporting to each NEB can be found on the Positions page.
• The national president provides strategic oversight for the sorority in tandem with other officers of the National Executive Board.
• The vice president of communications provides strategic oversight of the sorority with a focus on brand integrity and global awareness.
• The vice president of finance provides strategic oversight of the sorority with a focus on financial management including financial analysis and trending, budgeting, cash management, and corporate compliance.
• The vice president of lifetime membership provides strategic oversight of the sorority with a focus on membership, from recruitment of new collegiate members and colonies to alumnae membership.
• Thevice president of programs provides strategic oversight of the sorority with focus on the service, leadership, and sisterhood programs.
To ensure OPA receives the best possible candidates for these positions, the national petition for office form includes questions about background and asks for three references. Please include one professional, one personal, and one Omega Phi Alpha member as references. Please also include a resume and a photo (preferably a head shot) in the application package.
Any petition submitted will be provided online or at the convention for the delegation to review in advance of elections, pending candidate permission and timing. This will only include Omega Phi Alpha background information and photo.
Candidates who are unable to attend the national convention, should summarize their qualifications and submit along with their petition. The information will be provided to the delegation, or arrangements may be made for an online interview during the convention.
Candidates for an NEB position can receive discount toward travel to attend Convention 2019 if their petition is filed 21 days prior to the start of the convention and booked in accordance to OPA’s travel procedures. In addition, they must attend 75 percent of the convention’s activities to be eligible for the travel discount. Petitions will be accepted until July 11.