Since Convention 2017, Omega Phi Alpha’s national structure has changed. The transition includes a new leadership organizational structure, member training opportunities, and the frequency of the national convention. As of Convention 2019, the NEB has been renamed the Board of Directors (BOD). The BOD is the top level of leadership and consists of five elected lifetime members. These individuals are responsible for strategic planning and ensuring goals are being met. Elections take place at the biennial national convention. (For elected operational director positions, please visit the Positions page.)
At Convention 2019, the board positions listed below were elected by the delegation, each for two-year terms. Eligible candidates must be a lifetime member in good standing for at least one year. The weekly time commitment ranges from 5 to 8 hours.
Condensing the Board of Directors to five positions increases efficiency by focusing only on strategic goals. Leadership roles and structure reporting to each officer can be found on the Positions page.
• The national president provides strategic oversight for the sorority in tandem with other officers of the OPA Board of Directors (formerly national executive board or NEB).
• The vice president of communications provides strategic oversight of the sorority with a focus on brand integrity and global awareness.
• The vice president of finance provides strategic oversight of the sorority with a focus on financial management including financial analysis and trending, budgeting, cash management, and corporate compliance.
• The vice president of lifetime membership provides strategic oversight of the sorority with a focus on membership, from recruitment of new collegiate members and colonies to alumnae membership.
• Thevice president of programs provides strategic oversight of the sorority with focus on the service, leadership, and sisterhood programs.
To ensure OPA receives the best possible candidates for these positions, the national petition form includes questions about background and asks for three references. Please include one professional, one personal, and one Omega Phi Alpha member as references. Please also include a resume and a photo (preferably a head shot) in the application package.
Any petition submitted will be provided online or at the convention for the delegation to review in advance of elections, pending candidate permission and timing. This will only include Omega Phi Alpha background information and photo.
Candidates who are unable to attend the national convention, should summarize their qualifications and submit along with their petition. The information will be provided to the delegation, or arrangements may be made for an online interview during the convention.
Candidates for an NEB/BOD position can receive a discount toward travel to attend the convention if their petition is filed 21 days prior to the start of the convention and booked in accordance to OPA’s travel procedures. In addition, they must attend 75 percent of the convention’s activities to be eligible for the travel discount. Petitions will be accepted until the slate is announced at the convention.