Omega Phi Alpha National Service Sorority has an opening for a part-time Managing Director. This individual will serve as the operational leader of the organization. Working at the national level, this part-time contractor reports to the Board of Directors, primarily the National President. The Managing Director will:
- support the mission, vision, and core values of Omega Phi Alpha
- implement the annual strategic plan
- oversee all administrative functions
- manage the Operational Leadership Team
This position works with Omega Phi Alpha’s Board of Directors, Operational Leadership Team, and National Office Administrator, as well as the Omega Phi Alpha Foundation Board President.
Time Commitment: 20 hours per week
Interested in applying?
If you would like to apply for this position, please submit your name, contact information, and resume at the link below. We look forward to reviewing your information.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the efforts of the all-volunteer Operational Leadership Team, coordinating the flow of information and work process between teams so that annual goals and special projects are achieved by established deadlines. Lead development and implementation of action plans to support strategic goals that help the organization grow.
- Manage the National Office Administrator, other contractors, and volunteer leaders responsible for effective execution of daily operations. Foster a positive culture that motivates and engages volunteers.
- Develop and convene cross-functional teams to ensure successful, collaborative implementation of projects, events, and programs. Develop objectives, assign responsibilities, create timelines, and follow up to ensure deliverables are achieved by the deadlines.
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors, providing relevant information in a timely and accurate manner. Report on operational progress and challenges at board meetings and take accurate minutes.
- Implement and manage recruitment and selection processes for appointed operational leaders. Identify and confirm the most qualified director-level individuals with appropriate Board members. Guide operational directors as they fill open volunteer roles on their teams. Develop and lead an onboarding process for all volunteer leaders so they understand the overall organization structure and their individual role in its success.
- Ensure the sorority operates within the approved budget; recommend strategies for adjustments if needed.
- Coordinate with Omega Phi Alpha Foundation Board President regarding operational support the Foundation may need from communications, finance, and programs teams.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated capability to oversee, motivate, and collaborate with volunteers in a virtual environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency with organizational and project management abilities, including planning, delegating, and task facilitation
- Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams and projects, knowing when to integrate specific functions to meet appropriate outcomes.
- Solid, hands-on budget management skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to scheduled meetings, national officers, and national events as needed (typically 3–4 times/year).
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience evaluating program/event effectiveness and crafting plans for improvement.
- Leadership experience in a membership-based organization.
- Experience using technology to manage virtual data, workflow, and remote personnel.
- Experience collaborating with marketing and communications professionals to enhance an organization’s brand.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to engage and motivate diverse volunteer groups and constituents.
- Strong public speaker with the ability to clearly convey the vision to staff, volunteers, and donors.
What We Offer
- Ability to work remotely.
- Flexible hours and schedule; must be able to work evenings and weekends with volunteer operational leaders as necessary.
- Contract position; monthly stipend $3,000+ commensurate with experience.