The SUMMITS are coming!
Five Reasons Alumnae Should Attend
It’s that time of year again—the time when chapters and area alumnae travel to meet and host a weekend event full of friendship, leadership, service, and memories. This year’s theme is Bee the Change, which was inspired by Gandhi’s quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Here are five reasons you should attend a district summit this spring:
1. A new interpersonal communication workshop: Learn how to better exchange information, share feelings, and relate to other people. Communication is one of the most essential skills that can help us in our jobs, families, relationships, and more. This workshop aligns with the President’s Project of Building Two Thousand Bridges, by helping us examine how we communicate verbally and nonverbally through face-to-face communication.
2. Strengthen the bonds of sisterhood activity: This activity is as worthwhile for alumnae as it is for the actives. Get to know the members in your current (or another) chapter, as well as alumnae who are present. If you miss the sisters you had when you were active and want to reach out, this activity will be a fun way to communicate and bond with each other and rebuild lost bonds.
3. Two service projects: That’s right. This year, each of the summits will have not one service project, but TWO. Sometimes after graduation it’s harder to find ways to do group service projects, so traveling back to Omega Phi Alpha and being a part of your area summit, you not only get to do one, but TWO service projects!
4. A sneak peek at Convention 2019: It’s been two years since we gathered at Bowling Green University and celebrated 50 years of sisterhood. It’s finally time to regather in Norfolk, Virginia, for the next national convention. At summit you’ll be able to get exclusive sneak peeks about the convention before anyone else! Also, if you are unable to attend this year’s convention, the summit is like a mini-convention with the district!
5. Summit T-shirt: The design is being finalized for an original Summit 2019 T-shirt. Be casual just like in your college days!
Whether you’ve been an alumna for a semester, five years, 25 years, or more, there’s something for you at this year’s summits! If you moved away from your home chapter and live closer to another chapter, you are more than welcome to attend that chapter’s summit! (See the Districts page for more info.) We are looking for record-breaking alumnae attendance this year. We’ll see you at the summits!
Below are the dates and locations of all the summits. Be sure to visit OPA’s events on Facebook for the latest registration information.
Bluegrass at the Smyrna event Center in Smyrna, TN
Blue Ridge at Virginia Tech University
Cactus Pine at Northern Arizona University
Azalea at Georgia Institute of Technology
Liberty at the Courtyard by Marriott in Shippensburg, PA
Lone Star at the Hampton Inn & Suites, Bastrop, TX
Peaches & Beaches at the Sheraton Hotel, Jacksonville, FL
Colonial at the Hilton Garden Inn in Milford, CT
Heartland at Oklahoma State University
Founding at Dawn Farms in Ypsilanti, MI
If you have any questions about summit, email Catie Fields at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Morgan Mills (Alpha Gamma), Summit PR coordinator
January 27, 2018